Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Goodbye Kenya

After 30 hours of flying (including layovers), I've finally made it back to the states. I already miss Kenya, but its bitter sweet as I'm leaving for Australia in just a weeks time. My last week in the country was still eventful to say the least. I took over the Enrich Kibera program, and helped run the tours which was great. On Thursday we had over 10 people sign up for the tour, which is much more than usual so it was a bit hectic to say the least. We were walking through the largest garbage slum in Africa with a small army of white people carrying bags of flour and beans, so we stood out quite a bit.

During the week I made sure to keep tabs on the families we worked with and made sure everything was going ok. One of the men we provide food for is 72 now and was told he will need surgery to repair his arms and knees as he can no longer walk. He explained to us that he is afraid to get surgery even though we'll cover the costs for fear of his own death on the operating table. I relayed this to the doctor, and we agreed that we will have to send him to counseling to help him overcome his fears as this surgery is necessary for him. I really enjoyed my time with the program, the Kenyans we worked with are great and truly only want to help their neighbors.

I must say that for most of this blog I've talked about trying to help people as much as possible. I really do believe that it has come off a bit conceited, and even obnoxious of me. Yes, we helped provide some of them with material things and even gave food to families that otherwise wouldn't have it. But did we really improve their quality of life that much, or even a little? Yes, these people have very little, their homes are mud shacks with nothing more than maybe a bed and a couch inside. But, never once did I get a sense that these people were even remotely upset with the quality of their lives. Generally, the people I worked with and even the other Kenyans I spent time with were all pretty happy. One of the men we provide food for Peter is 85 years old and wears the same pair of clothes every day, yet every time I walk in to see him, he always greets us with a big smile and firm handshake. I'd even go as far to say that most of them are probably a lot more satisfied with their lives then a lot of my American friends. It really does reiterate the fact that material possessions will not being you happiness, or fill that empty void in your life.

This doesn't go to say that the Kenyans are oblivious to their countries situation. I've had quite a few very serious and heartfelt discussions with some of the Kenyans I've worked with while here. It hurts to hear the pain in their voice as they describe how corrupt their government is and their standard of living should be so much better. They're fully aware that the money they pay for taxes goes straight to the politicians pockets, and there just isn't much that can be done about it. I see the irritation and anger in their face, they feel helpless. But, they are able to recognize it and still go on about their lives and enjoy them to the fullest.

I really will miss the the country and hope to return someday. The other volunteers were great as well as the Kenyans I worked with. I developed a close friendship with the woman (she hates being called that) that helps run the volunteer hostel, and will miss her a lot as well. To everyone that has been keeping up with this blog I really appreciate it, and I hope I helped provide some insight for the volunteers that plan on coming to Kenya in the future. I'll still be updating this while I'm in Australia, but it may not be as interesting, as their lifestyle is pretty similar to America. I will miss everyone in Kenya, I wish them the best, and hopefully we will meet again!

No comments:

Post a Comment